Monday, January 2, 2012

Event Update: South Brevard CBC

We participated in the South Brevard CBC again this year. HFC David was on my team. Not sure what our species count was, but the total for all teams was 154, 150 of which were countable. If you didn't GOYB, here is just a small smattering of what you missed (it was a great day for birding, not so much for photography):

The first thing we came upon was a herd of deer when it was still pretty dark.
 HFC David, cleverly blending in with the background. I don't think the birds were fooled.
An eagle's nest, although we couldn't tell whether or not it was occupied, and I wasn't up for climbing the tree to check it out.
 A Black and White warbler.
 A Florida Scrub Jay. Notice his ankle bracelets. Not sure what he did, perhaps FWI?
 Just a mocker, but I liked the pose.
Although I was the compiler for this count, that does not mean I am a good birder. I should know, but have no idea what these two are. Maybe butter butts?

Anyway, it was a fun 10 hours of birding. Hope you can join us next year. Remember, you can look at pictures of birds and stuff online, but you can only truly experience nature if you GOYB!

No comments:

Post a Comment