Monday, September 6, 2010

A Taste of Tuesday

As you know, I am not fond of High Fructose Corn Syrup in my regular (non-junk) food. I came across a recipe recently that called for barbecue sauce, and when I went to buy some, I could not find any that did not contain HFCS, which really kind of irritated me. So I decided I would try to make my own. Now I am NOT claiming under ANY circumstances that this sauce recipe is low-calorie,  but it is FREAKING yummy and works really well with the recipe here. So without further ado:

Dee's Barbecue Sauce

  • 1 can tomato paste
  • Just a touch of apple-cider vinegar
  • Orange marmelade*
  • Brown sugar spenda*
  • Molasses*
  • Black pepper*
  • White pepper*
  • Cayanne pepper*
  • Grated orange peel*
  • Liquid Smoke*
  • Paprika*
  • Onion salt*
  • Fresh crushed garlic* (to taste, but I use enough to kill all of Transylvania)

Mix all ingredients together, stirring well. Ingredients that are asterisked should be added to taste and should be adjusted as needed. I accidentally added too much vinegar and had to tone it down with the splenda. If you go easy on the vinegar you might not need the splenda at all. Feel free to leave out or add any spices you like or don't like. I promise I won't have the Cooking Police come after you.

I Don't Have a Clever Name For This Recipe Yet, But It's Freaking Yummy, Trust Me
Cooking time:  Hours if you have to chop the raw chicken and snow peas yourself. It drives me nuts when I watch Rachel Ray's "30 Minute Recipes" -- yeah, right. It takes 30 minutes if you have minions to do your chopping for you. If you don't, plan on 30 hours!

  • Chicken thighs (uncooked, chopped into bite size pieces)
  • Shrimp (uncooked, peeled, deveined, tails off)
  • Roasted Peanuts (these are optional, but I thought they really added a spark to the recipe)
  • Snow peas (uncooked, chopped into bite size pieces)
  • Flour, red pepper, black pepper
  • Dee's Barbecue Sauce

Mix the flour and spices together. Coat the chicken and shrimp in the flour mixture and stir fry in oil until the chicken no long clucks and the shrimp stop whining about how hot the pan is. Add in the barbecue sauce and peanuts and stir until warm. Last, add the snow peas and cook until al dente.

Nom, nom, nom, nom, nom, nom!

No comments:

Post a Comment