Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Taste of Tuesday

 This is pretty similar to last week's recipe. I got creative with the base. I wanted something to counter the fact that I wasn't wearing my glasses when I dumped the Cayenne into the pepper. So I added some splenda brown sugar and cinnamon. It came out really tasty.

Chicken Stew
==========
Ingredients:
  • Carrots
  • Turnip or Rutabaga
  • Onion (a vidalia if you can get it!)
  • Boneless, skinless chicken (I used thighs, I think they cook nicer in a crock pot)
  • 1 can chicken broth
  • Brown sugar (I used the Splenda brown sugar blend)
  • Flour
  • Spices for browning chicken (I used black, white, and red pepper but you can use whatever you like)
  • Spices for adding to base
  1. Chop the chicken up into chunks.
  2. Mix about 1/2 to 1 cup flour and the chicken browning spices in a flat dish. 
  3. Roll the chicken in the flour mixture, then stir fry till browned.
  4. Place the chicken into a crock pot. 
  5. Chop up the carrots, turnip/rutabaga and onion, and put into the crock pot.
  6. Pour in the chicken broth. 
  7. Turn on crock pot and cook for 4-5 hours. Cooking time and temp depends on your crock pot. I cooked it on high for about 5 hours. Once the veggies cook down a bit, stir up the chicken from the bottom so everything gets a chance at being in the warm cozy bottom of the pot. Do this a few times during cooking.
  8. About 1/2 hour before you want to eat, mix some water, corn starch, brown sugar, and cinnamon in either a gravy shaker or a blender till smooth.  I have no idea how much stuff I used, you will have to experiment.
  9. Pour the flour/corn starch/brown sugar mixture to crock put and stir until it thickens.
If you aren't dieting, serve with really good bread. If you are dieting, serve with really good bread and run a few extra miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment