Monday, August 2, 2010

A Taste of Tuesday

One of the staples I like to cook with is frozen veggies. They save a lot of time, there is no waste, and as far as I know, are nutritionally second only to fresh, local grown veggies. So, I was in the grocery store yesterday looking for the ingredients for today's recipe. I stood in front of the frozen veggies, and could not, for the life of me, find the broccoli-cauliflower mix.

David finally pointed it out to me -- silly me, I was looking for something called "Broccoli and Cauliflower". What David pointed out to me was called "Alpine Mix" with the subtitle of "brisk and lively" I immediately imagined cauliflower with long yellow braids skipping happily through a mountain side meadow singing "The hiiiils are alive, with a hunk of broooooccoooolliiiiii...." Now, if it were up to me, I would name this particular mix "Trees and Brains" -- cause face it -- broccoli looks like trees, and cauliflower looks like brains. And I don't know if I would call it brisk and lively -- I think it's more like "green and kinda yellowish-white" But I digress.

Today's recipe is based on one from a Betty Crocker casserole cookbook. I have modified it to make it lower fat and more lap band friendly. Without further ado, I give you today's recipe:

Fish with Trees and Brains
  • 1/2 bag frozen broccoli and cauliflower mix
  • 1 cup Stovetop stuffing
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 pound fish filets (I've made this with salmon, haddock and catfish, they all work great, but you will have to adjust the cooking time based on the thickness of the filets)

Nuke the veggies till thawed. If they aren't already chopped, chop them.
Mix the broth and the dry stuffing mix into the veggies, and nuke another minute or two, until the stuffing absorbs the broth.
Spray a casserole with Pam. Layer the veggie/stuffing mix with the fish, ending with the fish.
Cover and bake until the fish flakes with a fork. For thin filets like catfish or haddock, about 35 minutes, for thicker filets like salmon, about 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment