Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Taste of Tuesday

I tend to be a breakfast skipper, or when do eat breakfast, I don't always make the best choices. Most days it' so much easier just to grab a Pop Tart, and even if it's a Fiber1 PopTart which have the huge benefit of being able to, shall we say, "move me", they are still pretty high and calories and are not always the best choice.

Another breakfast issue is that I go to the gym first thing in the morning and get icky if I eat before I work out. So, I usually workout on an empty stomach and am ravenous when I get home, which means I need something high-protein and FAST.  This is my standby lap-band friendly breakfast "recipe". And I use the term "recipe" loosely:

Dee McMuffs

Ingredients: Pam (or other cooking spray), 1/2 English Muffin, 1 Egg, 1/2 inch block of Cabot Low-fat Pepper Jack Cheese.

Note: You can use different type of cheese but it won't be as yummy and will therefore no longer be distinguishable as a Dee McMuff.

  1. Find a microwave-safe bowl that has the exact diameter of an English Muffin. You can go larger or smaller, but personally, I really can't handle non-symmetrical food in the morning.
  2. Spray the bowl with Pam (or other cooking spray).
  3. Place an egg in the bowl. Stab the yoke a bunch of times to prevent splattery accidents.
  4. I forgot to mention, you should have cracked the egg before step 3, it makes stabbing the yoke much easier. Wow, "stabbing the yoke" sounds like it should be a euphemism for something dirty. But it isn't, so get your mind out of the gutter. But I digress.
  5. Microwave the egg for 30 seconds.
  6. While the egg is cooking, cut an English Muffin in 1/2 and toast it. Save the other half either for tomorrow, or for a friend, or use as a frisbee in a game of catch with the cat.
  7. Take the egg out of the microwave and stir it up a little bit.  Chop up about 1/2 of the cheese and drop into the egg.
  8. Microwave the egg/cheese mixture for another 30 seconds.
  9. Take the egg out of the microwave, and remove the english muffin from the toaster. 
  10. Place the english muffin bumpy side down on the egg mixture, then turn over onto a microwaveable plate.
  11. Slice the rest of the cheese and put on top of the cheese. 
  12. Nuke for another 30 seconds. 
  13. If any of the cheese falls off the egg, scrape it off the plate and put it back on top. Quickly, before it sticks to the plate. Now! Do it Now! Sorry, I just hate the thought of any of the cheese going to waste.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment