Sunday, October 31, 2010

Plantar Faciitis Advice

Here is an interesting article about plantar faciitis:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130573337

I do the ice, NSAIDs, night time brace, a strap during the day, and lots and lots of stretching. It's not as bad as it was, I plan to do 3 5ks between now and December. I notice that after a long walk it hurts, but I ice right away (I even brought a bottle of ice to the last 5k I did) and recover much faster now and it doesn't hurt when I first get up anymore. I think the stretching helps the most, with the daytime strap a close second.

The stretches that I do:

  • Stand on a stair stepper or the bottom step. Hold onto something for balance. With your ball of your foot on the edge of the step, drop your heels, then stretch back up on your tip-toes. Repeat a bunch of times.
  • While sitting, with your heels on the floor, tap your toes. Again, do this a bunch of times I usually do at least 20-30 times before I start walking. This is also a great one for keeping shin splints at bay. It does look kind of silly though. It might look better if you click your fingers and bob your head, so it looks like you are really getting into your music. Alternatively, you can keep looking at your watch and pretend that you are impatiently waiting for someone.
  • Lie on the floor on your back with the one knee bent. Raise the other leg, pointing your toes towards you as much as possible. If, like most people, the PF is worst when you first wake up, do this lying in bed before you try to walk. Use a towel or blanket to pull your toes towards you to get a really good stretch in the bottom of your foot.
Let me know if these aren't clear descriptions, I can post some pictures. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment