Thursday, April 14, 2011

What not to say...

So, today is day 25 without sugar. Here is a tip.  Say that someone tells you that they are on their 25th day without sugar. An appropriate response to that is NOT: "Ohhhh, I know a great bakery in Vero Beach!" Seriously, I can't believe how many people have said stuff like that.  WTF? Why would you say that to someone you know is going without sugar. Here are more appropriate responses:
  • Ohhh, I found a mouse head in a snickers bar once. 
  • That's great! Lets celebrate by doing a trip through Goodwin!
  • Cool. I wonder if I can do that! 
But I digress. 

I read a really interesting article today theorizing that sugar is toxic (Click here to read it.) There are many really interesting points in there, but the one that jumped out to me was the fact that both sugar and HFCS behave the same way in the human body. It seems to me that there is a huge misconception that HFCS is bad for you in a way that sugar isn't. That isn't the point, and I think the manufacturers know that too. The problem is that because it is a cheap filler, HFCS is overused and is in almost everything you can buy in the grocery store, it is the second ingredient in everything from bread to "low fat" soups.

The funny thing is, I read that the manufacturers want to change the name from HFCS to "Corn Sugar". I actually think this is a really good idea, I think even people who generally aren't inclined to read labels will think twice when they pick up a container of "low fat" blueberry yogurt that has more sugar than blueberries.

So, if you are going to join me in being sugar free, remember to read the labels, HFCS = Sugar. In a candy bar, who cares? But in low-fat "healthy" foods, you need to make sure you are getting what you paid for! 

No comments:

Post a Comment