Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pelican Island

We had an awesome walk out at Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge today. Joined by HFC David (who was the leader of the walk), and a group of terrific local birders, we saw a whole bunch of cool stuff. If you didn't GOYB and join us today, here's what you missed! (As always, click to enlarge.)

A very strange, LARGE bird flew
over us to welcome us to the
refuge. I'm really really glad he
didn't poop on my car. Or me.

It was a little chilly start to the day,
but the skies were crystal clear
and there were lots of duckies.
This is a White-cheeked Pintail duck. It was a lifer for me!


Gaillaridia, one of my favorite Florida wildflowers.
Some Green-wing Teal.


One of our neatest critters in FL.
This is an Antlion trap. There is an
antlion in the bottom of the hole
waiting for something crawl into the
hole and get trapped. This was the first
time I have ever seen a bug actually
fall in, it was very cool.










Me and Teddy Roosevelt at the festival after the bird walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment