Sunday, January 1, 2012

First SOS of 2012

We did our first SOS walk of 2012 today. Technically, it was an FOS (Four on Sunday). We stopped to look at so many cool things that we had to turn back early in order to get back before dark. If you didn't GOYB today, here is what you missed:

David thought he saw a Cinnamon Teal. Heather took this pic of use looking for it.
This was really weird. It was an otter, who appeared to be chasing a butterfly.  We watched him chase it around for quire a while. Odd, but insanely cute.
 This is David's favorite butterfly, the Red Admiral.
Another view of the Red Admiral. He is even prettier with his wings closed.
A Red-shouldered Hawk looking dramatic.
A Viceroy. We saw a zillion butterflies today.
A Southern White.
 A White Peacock.
A White-tailed deer.
Don't know why, but this was my favorite picture of the day. I think I just really loved the color. This is my favorite time of day to shoot when everything is bathed in that warm yellow light. I didn't edit the color in this at all, everything was just bright and perfect.
By the time we got back to the parking lot, the good light had dissipated and I was still unable to get a good shot of the owls who are nesting there. This was better than the last time we saw them, but still not great.

Thanks to Heather and HFC David for joining me today. For those of you who didn't GOYB, I ask you, when was the last time you saw an otter play with a butterfly? I'm guessing that would be never. You can see the picture here, but you can only experience it if you GOYB and join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment