Sunday, December 29, 2013

Jacksonville - 1 day, 3 lifers

We (HFC David and I) took a trip up to Jacksonville to see the Snowy owl. If you didn't GOYB to join us, here's what you missed:

 First up: The star of the day, a magnificent snowy owl, sitting right out on the beach. I also got some nice video of her. Although this wasn't my life snowy owl, it was my first really good look at one.
The little one-legged guy on the far left is my life purple sandpiper.
 This is my life Harlequin duck.
My life Black Scoter.
This made me really sad. It was the second one-legged bird of the day, a ruddy turnstone who got caught up in string or fishing line. You can see his dessicated foot still tangled in the line. Poor little guy :-(

But other than the hurt bird, it was a great day birding. We got a lot of walking in on the beach especially as we were looking for a Snow Bunting which we never did find. But, we had an awesome time trying anyway.

Remember, you can see lot of cool stuff on the internet, but you can only experience it if you GOYB and join us on an outing!

No comments:

Post a Comment