Monday, December 15, 2014

Merritt Island Christmas Bird Count

We did the Merritt Island Christmas Bird Count today. I haven't done this one for years. It was my very first CBC about 12 years ago. This is the count that changed my life actually - I had gone to an Audubon meeting, and this insanely handsome guy came in and said they needed help with the count. I signed up for the count, not having any idea what I was getting myself into, but hey he was really really handsome, I probably would have joined a doomsday cult if he'd asked. Anyway, I signed up for the count, and although I never actually saw him that day, and it took about 2 years, eventually he asked me out and the rest as they say, is history.  If you weren't brave enough to join us on the count, here's what you missed:

First bird that I saw today was a Red-shouldered Hawk. I have seen more of these this year than in any previous year, and they are so obliging, letting me take their picture.
A Yellow-rump Warbler. You only see the yellow rump when they moon you.
This is a terrible quality photo, but it told a story. Something about a Red-shouldered Hawk and a Red-bellied Woodpecker comparing notes on how neither of them really have red parts, and wondering how they got their names.
An Osprey. One thing I've notice since I got the new camera is the shape of birds in flight. Ospreys have this really cool shape to them.
I was goofing around to see how far away I can get pictures. This was a plane way way off in the distance. Pretty cool.
And here we have the reason for it all, my sweetie and HFC David, who is still insanely handsome.  Heck, anyone who can get me out of bed at 3:30 a.m. to count birds must be special!

The Christmas Bird Counts are the largest Citizen Scientist program in the world. Thousands of volunteers go out throughout the world doing these counts from Dec 14 through January 4. If you want to come out and help one of the local counts, contact me, or if you don't live in Florida, contact your local Audubon Society.

And remember, you can see cool pictures here, but you can only meet new friends (and maybe even a husband) if you GOYB and get outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment