Sunday, September 4, 2011

Stretches

I was recently asked what stretches I typically do. These were the ones that I thought of off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more. These are the ones that I do pretty much every day:

This is a great one before running or walking to prevent shin splints. If you can't hear the sound, it is HFC David saying how the cat is an integral part of this stretch:-)

This is a great one for plantar faciitis. If you can't find a step, even just going up on your toes and back down helps stretch it out. I do this about a million times a day just to keep it loose.

Stand in a doorway or near a pole. Extend your arm and turn body to stretch out the shoulder and upper arm.
This is another one I do about a million times a day, it feels great after I've been sitting at the computer for hours.
This is a good one for the legs. Cross legs at the ankle, knees slightly bent, and just kind of hang over.
Similar to above, but with legs spread and you go off to the sides.
Another leg stretch. Be careful with this one, don't lift leg too high and don't let the knee hyperextend.
This is another of my favorites. I bought this little calf stretching thingy from Play it Again Sports for $4. The physical therapy place was selling them for like $40. Get one used if you can find them, they are really great for getting a good calf stretch.


These are just the ones I could think of off the top of my head. Let me know if you want to see examples of others, or if you have a favorite stretch, send me a picture and I will add it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment